Sunday, June 12, 2011

Treasure Books

Last year I made these books (check here and throughout July 2010 for details), and I mostly liked them - but I was never really happy with how I finished them off, and had wished that I had made them so I could bind them.

These treasure books contained many many hand decorated pages such as this painted page.

I decided to take a book apart and bind it like I wanted to, but the pages had to be joined together before I could do that. So I joined them by sewing a strip of paper between the ends of 2 decorated pages.

I then added book binding material and bound the pages into the book.

I added a piece of silk through the eyelets that had originally held the pages together.

The book holds a variety of pages,

but it only holds half the number of pages that the original books held. The books are still oriented to open like a notepad rather than a book.... but I kind of like them that way.

This is the inside of the front cover....

and this is the inside of the back cover.

Overall I am much happier with how this book is finished now, and I have enough pages left to make another book something like this one..... but that will have to wait for another day.


  1. i think your book is gorgeous and love how you found a way to make it how you wanted too:)

  2. Hey Kim, you know how much I love your work! and also your wonderful creative spirit and that you're not afraid to rework pieces ... it matters most that you reach your vision of each one.
    Beautiful, as always!

  3. i love what you've done, kim... it seems perfect to me. your work is sooooo beautiful!! (i am starting on some tea bags : ) xoxo