Saturday, December 10, 2011

Handmade Packaging


I had made these little packages to use for packaging up necklaces and earrings that I sold at the art sales I attended. They are easy to make, and yet I really like how they look, and they use paper out of an old cookbook.


I really dislike buying paper to wrap gifts in, as I find there is spare paper all around us, that usually gets thrown away. So I decided to make some in the same style for Christmas gifts.



I started by cutting a piece of paper twice the size that I wanted the package to be.



I sewed straight across the top for decoration (not joining anything together) and then put the two edges together (without creasing the paper) and sewed them.



I then put the sewn edge in the middle front of the package and creased the edges, and sewed across the bottom of the package.


I finished it off by decorating it with stamps, folding the top edge over, and putting a torn strip of fabric on it that will be used to tie the package closed and to decorate it.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, these bags are really pretty, especially with the ribbons all tied in bows. I make bags similar to these but have used staples instead of sewing them. You have more patience than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cool Kim and i love the recycled aspect to them, and that are all crinkly looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use brown lunch sacks in much the same way! These are gorgeous, eco-conscious and a treat just as they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! LOL Just like you and Carole and Cameron! I use the brown paper used in the packages I get. Waste not want not! Your bags look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you recycled old used papers! It's a simple way to create them but with a great outcome and totally unique! Greetz, Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty, I love your recycled packages :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - your blog is always so inspirational! Love the stitching and the ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great packages, Kim.
    You lend artfulness to everything you do. Works of art themselves, they are. Perhaps you could make up packages of packaging to sell!
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really lovely Kim. I'd be happy to receive an empty package it is so beautiful! Hope you're having fun these days. I'm very much enjoying your posts. *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very timely, as I should be wrapping some packages right now. Hopefully they'll turn out well enough for a blog post! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, they are really nice!
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete