Thanks to a blog post by Jennifer, I have been in the middle of a creative adventure.
I wet some pieces of watercolour paper,
added some dried bits and pieces of petals i have, and stacked them up.
When I had 4 or 5 pieces stacked up, I folded them in half, flattened them the best I could, and secured them with a piece of string.
I made 3 bundles, that I then placed on top of a bowl inside my crock pot. I put a bit of water in the bottom, with the idea that the paper wouldn't get soaked, just steamed. I then left if for about 8 hours.
Here is what the bundle looked like after I took it out of the pot.
And some pages when I opened them up, but before they were dry, and had the petals removed. The brownish pages in the middle of the picture, fell into the water, and are a more all over brown colour.
The pages are mostly a variety of brown colours - good thing I like brown.
I like how I can see where some of the petals were put.
I haven't decided if I will make a book with it or what.
The whole experiment got me thinking. When I make handmade paper, and put petals in it, I do get the colours from some of the petals staining the page. So I took a couple of the pieces that didn't have too much colour on them, and I got them soaking wet, and sandwiched petals between them. Then I just left them to dry.
Although some of the colours did transfer, I didn't really like how the pages turned out. I may have to try it again, and remove the petals when the paper is still wet... we will see.